The People and Their School District
The School Committee has the dual responsibility for implementing statutory requirements pertaining to public education and local citizens' expectations for the education of the community's youth. It also has an obligation to determine and assess citizens' desires. When citizens elect delegates to represent them in the conduct of public education, their representatives have the authority to exercise their best judgment in determining policies, making decisions, allocating resources and approving procedures for carrying out the responsibility.
The School Committee therefore affirms and declares its intent to:
- Maintain two-way communication with citizens of the community. The public will be kept informed of the progress and problems of the District, and citizens will be urged to bring their aspirations and feelings about their public schools to the attention of this body, which they have chosen to represent them in the management of public education.
- Establish, review and update policies and make decisions on the basis of declared educational philosophy and goals. All decisions made by this Committee will be made with priority given to the purposes set forth, most crucial of which is the optimal learning of the children enrolled in our schools.
- Act as a truly representative body for members of the community in matters involving public education. The Committee recognizes that ultimate responsibility for public education rests with the state, but individual School Committees have been assigned specific authority through state law. The Committee will not relinquish any of this authority since it believes that decision-making control over the children's learning should be in the hands of local citizens as much as possible.
Source: Policy AB
- Annual Reports
- Public Meetings & Participation
- Subcommittees & Advisory Roles
- Collective Bargaining
- In the Community
- More Information
This site provides information using PDF, visit this link to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.