Canton Families Embracing Diversity (CFED)
On Wednesday October 18, 2013 the Canton Public Schools conducted a “needs assessment” of the Canton Public School system with a focus on our schools’ climate. As a part of these efforts, parents of students of color were selected to be a part of a focus group. One of the opening questions was, “Do you feel welcomed in Canton?”
At the conclusion of the focus group, several parents for diversity wanted to keep the conversation alive. There was an idea to formally convene a parent group and continue discussions around our children’s experience in the Canton Public School system. Our first official meeting was held on December 11, 2013 at the Canton Public library with seven parents and a representative from the Canton Public School administration.
February 26, 2014 marked an important point in the development of this group. On that day, over 30 families of all ethnic backgrounds came out to express concerns, pose questions about the name (initially Canton Parents of Color) and inquire about the purpose of the emerging group. This meeting was used to educate the community on the need for such efforts and to invite all interested families to participate regardless of race, ethnicity, socio-economic status or any other dimensions or ideologies. The meeting was a success and on March 26, 2014 we formalized our name – Canton Families Embracing Diversity (CFED) – and began working on a mission statement.
The purpose of CFED is to advocate for resources and policies in collaboration with and in support of the Canton Public School system to enhance the educational experiences for all students by promoting diverse academic and enrichment programs.
Canton’s demographics are changing and the community and public schools are becoming increasingly diverse. There is a need to increase awareness of multi-cultural presence and matters affecting our children’s education and ability to matriculate in the community. CFED is committed to assisting the Canton Public School’s efforts and insuring their accountability in making Canton a welcoming community for all.
CFED serves as a resource to the Canton Public Schools on things such as developing intentional inclusive hiring practices, supporting curriculum diversity in the classroom and helping to bring multicultural awareness to school activities and the community at large.
1. Serve as a liaison to Canton Public Schools and administrative leadership in order to provide resources for diversity initiatives.
2. Maintain a strong partnership with community leaders, school administrators and faculty, local police and fire departments, but most importantly, Canton families.
3. Continue to work with other Canton parent organizations to ensure diversity inclusion in various school activities, and programs.
“Diversity brings richness to our lives and teaches us to co-exist with people who are different from ourselves.” ~ Anonymous
Information and Links
- CAPT: Hansen School (opens in new window)
- CAPT: JFK School (opens in new window)
- CAPT: Luce School (opens in new window)
- CAPT: Galvin Middle School (opens in new window)
- Canton Alliance for Public Education (CAPE)
- Canton Academy
- Canton Families Embracing Diversity (CFED)
- Canton Parent Advisory Council for Student Services (CPACSS)
- Canton Parks and Recreation
- Canton Public Library
- CHS Athletics Boosters
- Paul R. Matthews Foundation
- Town of Canton
This site provides information using PDF, visit this link to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.